Chicken Divan with Brown Rice is my go-to dish when I need to feed a lot of people without breaking the bank. It makes for great lunches and is a perfect way to use up leftover turkey.
Chicken Divan with Brown Rice
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- dash salt
- 1 pound fresh broccoli or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, dairy sour cream, miracle whip or plain yogurt (I’ve tried them all…depends on what I have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- In large pot place chicken breasts. Add water, bay leaf, onion, pepper and salt. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until breasts are tender when pierced with sharp knife.
- Cut meat into 2×4 inch pieces; set aside.
- Cook broccoli until crisp-tender.
- Spread cooked brown rice on bottom of 9x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Arrange broccoli on top of rice. Place chicken over broccoli.
- Mix together chicken soup, mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, lemon juice and curry powder. Pour over chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle cheese over top. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350° F. for 30-35 minutes or until bubbling hot. Do not overbake. Makes 4 servings.
If you are lucky you might have some left over for lunch. Having some for lunch depends on weather I made side dishes or not. It’s got all the food groups…who needs side dishes?
P.S. This is a great recipe for using up left over turkey as well.