Tumeric is a widely cultivated tropical plant grown originally in India having yellow flowers and a large aromatic deep yellow rhizome. It is used as a condiment and yellow die. Turmeric is part of the ginger family.
The top 10 health benefits of turmeric according the Health Remedies Journal are:
- Natural Pain Reliever
- Strengthens The Immune System
- Improves Cognitive Function
- Helps Boost Mood
- Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
- Helps Keep The Memory Sharp
- Helps Reduce and Prevent Arthritis
- Can Help Lower Risk of Cancer
- One of Nature’s Strongest Anti-Inflammatory Plants
In India, turmeric is used to make a topical compress for muscle strains and injuries. Water is mixed with the ground spice to make a paste and it is covered with a cloth that is soaked in hot water. This process is utilizing the anti-inflammatory compounds of turmeric.
The benefits of turmeric come from a special chemical compound called curcuminoids that are some of nature’s most powerful antioxidants and potent pain relievers. They have an anti-inflammatory effect used both topically and internally.